Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jorge Cham

WHO AM I: PHD Webcomic writer

Jorge Cham

Hey, have you guys read my comic? PHD Comics, man, don’t tell me you haven’t heard of it. Come on, you’ve gotta read it, it’s too much fun, and it’s damn addictive too. Oh, you’ve read it? Yippee!!



Wait, what do you mean my comic is boring? Dude, do you think it’s easy, coming up with stuff on the same topic of grad school week after week? I can’t really crack tech jokes like xkcd coz I want at least one normal person to laugh at my jokes, so I can’t base the strip on some esoteric pun about the Riemann Hypothesis. There are only a few broad areas my jokes fall under- laziness, food, low stipends and pointlessness of grad school, and trust me, you run out of the standard jokes pretty quickly. Listen up, I follow the three tenets of grad school: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Reduce effort to create new strips, Reuse old stuff in new settings and change a couple of dialogues, and Recycle old ideas to keep the machine going. After all, it is Piled Higher and Deeper (PHD you goofs), whether it’s lack of novelty on academia or in my strips.

Hmm…so you been to my Procrastination lectures? No? Hey, call me to your school fast, dude. It’s like my only source of income, the only way I can buy ramen for dinner. In the meantime, I’m offering a copy of the PHD book to one lucky reader. What you got to do? Give me some ideas to jazz up my new strip- new settings, ideas for new characters, new ways to say the old stuff. The best ideas will find their way into PHD pages and the bestest will get a PHD book, free! If you sketch a few comics for me, all the better. You can take over guest post duties while I get some much-needed sleep.

Go away, I got a Slackernerny strip to work on.

Jorge


Share/Bookmark